Once you follow a friend in Duolingo, you can encourage and motivate each other as you reach key learning milestones. This can range from completing a 7-day streak to finishing the top 3 of their leaderboard. To celebrate a friend’s learning accomplishment, please follow the instructions detailed below.
- Tap Profile tab (face icon)
- Tap ‘Friend Updates’
- Scroll and long-press ‘Celebrate’ for any friend’s achievement you’d like to celebrate. You can choose from a selection of fun emojis
- Once your friend opens their app, they will see your congratulatory message by tapping on the emoji (bottom-right)
NOTE: You can also share your personal milestones by tapping the ‘Share’ button and selecting the social platform.
- Tap on Profile
- Go to ‘Friends Updates’
- Tap on ‘Celebrate’ and choose your emoji
How do I disable these updates?
To disable these friend updates, you will need to set your Duolingo account to private.
- On web, tap Profile
- Select ‘Settings’
- Tap ‘Privacy Settings’
- De-select ‘Make My Profile Public’
NOTE: By making your profile public, this will disable friend updates, the leaderboard experience, and the ability to friend other learners on Duolingo.