1. Purchase streak protection.
If you are traveling to another time zone and would like to prevent your streak from resetting, you can purchase a streak freeze using gems or lingots from the shop within the app in advance to protect it. A streak freeze must be purchased in advance of a day of missed activity to protect the streak. A streak repair can be purchased the day after inactivity to repair the streak.
Purchasing a weekend amulet (Android) would also be very helpful if you would like to take a break from your lessons on the weekend during your trip! Weekend amulets can be purchased on Fridays from the shop using gems or lingots and will need to be purchased the same weekend that you plan on not using Duolingo. Weekend amulets will expire when the week is over.
2. Turn on practice reminders so you can remember to do your lessons on the go.
Practice reminders can be a great help for remembering to do your lessons while you are on a busy trip! You can turn on practice reminders and set the frequency that will work best for you in your notification settings.
3. Troubleshoot your device to ensure it is displaying the correct date and time.
Your time zone is tracked by your device. The Duolingo app is set to sync to the date and time settings of your device. If you do not notice the time automatically change on your device when you arrive to your destination, restarting your device should correct it. If you are still having trouble with the correct time zone not displaying, you may need to update your location settings to allow your timezone to change automatically. Having the correct time zone displayed will make it easier to complete your lesson before midnight.
Update date & time on Android:
- Tap Settings to open the Settings menu.
- Tap Date & Time.
- Tap Automatic.
- If you would like to keep this option turned off, check that the correct Date, Time and Time Zone are selected.
Update date & time on iOS:
- From your home screen, navigate to Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap Date & Time.
- Make sure that the option Set Automatically is turned on.
- If you choose to keep this option turned off, check that the correct Date, Time and Time Zone are selected.