What is a Family Plan?
A Family Plan is where the primary account holder/ family manager can share a Duolingo Plus annual subscription and all of its amazing features with up to five (5) other Duolingo users, totaling six (6) users per Family Plan. The approximate cost of the Family Plan is $119.99 USD/year.
Can I use the Family Plan for the monthly subscription?
No, the Family Plan is only eligible for the 12 month subscription. It is an auto-renewing subscription that is billed annually.
How can I subscribe to the Family Plan?
Currently, you can subscribe to the Family Plan via the Duolingo iOS app. You will need one (1) family manager to subscribe. Then they can invite up to five (5) other Duolingo users to their plan. NOTE: The Family Plan must be purchased via the iOS app/Apple. However, family members can access the Plus subscription features across all platforms.
- Tap the Shop tab
- On the Plus banner, tap on the white button to get Plus
- On the purchase page, tap “View all Plans”
- Tap on the Family Plan $119.99/yr plan (tapping will directly start the purchase)
- Confirm the purchase via Apple
NOTE: If you are an existing Plus subscriber (individual/annual plan or monthly plan), you aren't currently able to subscribe to a Family Plan.
How does this work with Apple’s Family Sharing?
Our Duolingo Plus family plan does not interact with Apple’s Family Sharing model.
Inviting members to a Family Plan:
How do I invite someone to my plan?
The family manager can send the invite link to any eligible user via iMessage, Whatsapp, email, and more. Once they receive the link, they'll have to accept the invite in order to be added to your Family Plan.
- Tap the Plus icon
- In the Plus dashboard, tap ‘Manage Family’
- Tap ‘Add Member’
- Select your method: Text Message/SMS, Whatsapp, email, etc.
- Confirm and send the invitation via the method chosen.
How will I know when someone I've invited has joined my plan?
Once the user accepts the terms via the invite link, you will receive an email notifying you the new member added to your plan. They will appear in your "Family Group.”
Can I add a family member who is already a Plus subscriber?
Existing Plus subscribers cannot join a Family Plan. If you send a link to an existing Plus subscriber and they attempt to join a Family Plan, they will receive a notice that they already have Plus.
Can I add a family member if they don’t have an iOS device?
Yes, any Android or desktop web user can be invited to the Family Plan. Only the family manager needs to subscribe via Apple and manage the Family Plan via their iOS device.
How do I add multiple Duolingo accounts to my plan if they are on the same device?
If you want to invite a family member that shares a device with you, the family manager should see their names available in the ‘Manage Family’ dashboard.
- Go to the ‘Manage Family’ dashboard
- Other accounts will be detailed that access the shared device. Tap ‘Add’.
- Confirm by tapping ‘Add to Plan’
Once that member logs back into their Duolingo account on the shared device, they will be prompted to accept the Family Plan invitation.
NOTE: Invite links are active for one (1) week only. If the link expires, please generate and send a new invite link
Accepting a Family Plan Invite:
I've been invited to a Family Plan. How do I accept my invite?
- Tap the invitee link sent from the family manager
- Duolingo app will open with an invitation to join the plan. Tap ‘Accept Invite’
- Confirm Duolingo account by tapping ‘Join Family Plan’
- You’re all set to learn with Duolingo Plus!
NOTE: If you do not have a Duolingo account already setup, you will be prompted to create a Duolingo account and profile once you tap the invitee link.
My invite to join a Family Plan expired. How do I receive the invite again?
If your invitation expired, please reach out to the family manager to send you the invite again.
NOTE: Invite links are active for one (1) week only.
I don’t want to be in a Family Plan. How do I leave the Family Plan?
Only the family manager can remove a user from the family plan. Please reach out to the family manager of your plan, and they can remove you.
I already have a Duolingo Plus subscription. Can I join a Family Plan?
Existing Plus subscribers cannot join a Family Plan. Once you accept an invite from the family manager, you will notice a pop-up message that you already have a Plus subscription.
If I join a Family Plan, will it affect my current progress?
When you join or leave a Family Plan, your progress will not be affected whatsoever. The Family Plan unlocks specific perks and features (i.e. unlimited hearts, ad-free learning), it will not reset or remove skill progress in a course.
Managing a Family Plan:
How can I manage my Plus Family Plan settings?
Only the family manager can manage the subscription via the Duolingo iOS app. If you are the family manager, you can manage your family plan via Plus settings and the Plus dashboard to:
- Cancel plan
- Add members via link and delete members
- Tap on family members’ names/icons to see their profile
- View the plan’s next renewal date
How do I remove a user from my Family Plan?
Only the family manager can remove a user. If you are the family manager, you can remove a user from your family plan by following these steps:
- Tap the Plus badge/fab in the Duolingo app.
- In the Family Plan section, tap ‘Manage Family’
- Tap ‘EDIT’
- Tap the the user that needs to be removed
- Confirm by tapping ‘Remove from Plan’
NOTE: Users/family members added to the Family Plan cannot remove themselves. They will need to contact the family manager to remove them from the Family Plan.
I’m seeing ‘Private Member’ in my Family Plan. What does that mean?
If you have a “Private Member'' listed in your Family Plan, that means you have either:
- An age restricted user in your plan. We restrict social settings for users under 13 years of age, so their profiles aren’t public.
- A user who adjusted their Privacy settings to a private profile (as opposed to a public profile).
How can I cancel my Family Plan subscription?
Only the family manager can cancel the Family Plan subscription. You can cancel your subscription by following the App Store directions outlined here.
NOTE: If you cancel the renewal, all family members will no longer have access to Plus features once the subscription expires.