We will be disabling the Tinycards apps and web version on September 1, 2020. Here is a forum post explaining our decision. For more info on your existing Tinycard decks, please read below.
What is Tinycards?
Tinycards is a companion app to Duolingo where users could create, download, and share flashcard decks to help with memorization skills.
Why are you removing Tinycards?
This was a hard decision for us. In order to redirect more resources to improve Duolingo and invest in new and exciting plans, we decided to shut down Tinycards. You can learn more here.
When will it go away?
We will be completely removing Tinycards on September 1, 2020. This includes the iOS app, Android app, and web version of Tinycards. You will no longer be able to access any Tinycards decks after that date, including your own.
Why can’t I create a new deck on Tinycards?
Since Tinycards will be shut down, we have removed the ability to create new content. That means you can no longer make new decks. You should still be able to access all decks and export your existing content to a spreadsheet(see below) until September 1, 2020. Please refer to this post for more information.
Can I edit existing decks?
No, so sorry! You will not be able to edit your existing Tinycard decks.
What will happen to our existing decks?
Before September 1, 2020, we strongly recommend that you download your current decks in spreadsheet form. Please note that you can only download content you created yourself. After September 1, 2020, you will no longer be able to access any decks, including your own.
To download your Tinycards decks, please complete the following steps:
- Log into your Duolingo account here.
- Go to our Drive-Thru portal, then tap on “Access Personal Data”. (Please do NOT select “Erase Personal Data” as that will remove your Tinycards and Duolingo accounts permanently.)
- You will see a confirmation screen indicating that your data will be sent in a zip file. You will also receive a confirmation email, titled “Duolingo personal data access request confirmation”. Note: This process can take up to a maximum of 30 days.
- Once we compile your data, you will receive an email with instructions for how to download your data file. Click the link the email to access your personal data.
- You will see the Drive-Thru portal again. Click ‘Download Personal Data’ to download the Zip file.
- Open the Zip file and search for the decks.csv file that holds your decks. Once you click on that .csv file, it will export your decks into a spreadsheet.
After download is ready:
Do you have plans to bring back Tinycards (or a similar feature) in the future?
At this time, we do not have any plans to bring back Tinycards. However, we may be seeing flashcard-like features on Duolingo in the near future, and you never know what other exciting updates Tinycards may have inspired. Stay tuned!