Duolingo Classes will wind down and retire on January 18th, 2023. This means hosts and learners will no longer be able to host or attend classes, and the Classes website will not be accessible.
We are very grateful to our learners and hosts who have joined us on this journey. Since we first started experimenting with live events and classes in 2017, hundreds of hosts and learners joined live language gatherings.
These classes helped learners around the world come together to speak a new language, explore new cultures, advance their careers, and perhaps most importantly – feel welcomed and create lasting connections with one another.
What should hosts and learners expect?
- This change was announced on Thursday, Dec 8, 2022.
- Hosts can continue creating and hosting classes as long as they are scheduled to occur on or before January 18, 2023.
- Learners can continue RSVPing to classes that are scheduled to occur on or before January 18, 2023.
- After January 18, 2023, we will sunset Duolingo Classes. Hosts and learners will no longer be able to host or attend classes, and the Classes website will not be accessible.
- One day after our sunset, January 19, 2023, hosts will receive a detailed summary of their hosting activity on Duolingo Classes, along with an anonymized report of their learner feedback.
- Classes scheduled after January 18, 2023, will be automatically canceled. Existing RSVPs for classes scheduled after January 18, 2023, will be canceled and refunded to learners and will also be honored and issued as a payout to hosts.
How can relationships between hosts and learners continue?
To help connect and support continued relationships between hosts and learners, we’ve updated our “message all followers” feature to enable hosts to send a custom email with their personal contact information. Hosts can visit their host dashboard and find this feature in the “host tools” dropdown menu.
Why are we making this change?
Duolingo’s mission is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. Part of this means experimenting with new ways to deliver education in a scalable way.
While Classes grew to have a dedicated community of language learners and a real, positive impact on hosts and learners, we learned that this was not the most efficient way to deliver our company mission. By making this difficult decision to retire Classes, we can focus resources on other products that allow us to deliver impact and reach significantly more learners.
I still have questions or feedback!
Prior to our sunset date of January 18, 2023, feel free to reach out to email@example.com. We’re here to support you during this transition.
For general support after our sunset date of January 18, 2023, you can visit our Help Center and search the articles for answers to common questions.