The forum moderators are hand-selected members of the Duolingo community who are here to help us learners maintain a healthy and collaborative learning environment in the forums. We spotted them by noticing the love they showed for learning, collaboration, community, teaching and Duolingo—you can spot them by looking for the green ring around their avatar, and also a small shield symbol.
You can always thank them for being so awesome and support their efforts by upvoting helpful comments, downvoting spam and offensive messages, and making sure you and your friends are following Duolingo's Guidelines. Unacceptable forum posts and behavior may result in warnings, deletions, and even bans at trusted moderators' discretion.
Fun facts about Duolingo moderators:
- Many forum moderators are also course contributors in the Duolingo Incubator
- Moderators can delete comments in forums where you can see their green shields
- Most forum moderators do not have moderating powers in all forums
- They volunteer to moderate—this is not a paid position. This means that they deserve all our appreciation and respect
- They are learners just like us!
To become a forum moderator:
- Be super helpful, welcoming and polite in the forums. Mods keep an eye on caring and knowledgeable community members and remember them when new moderating slots open up
- Create interesting and relevant forum posts regularly
- You can also contribute to a course if you want to help out with a particular language
Please do not post in moderator's stream asking them to make you a moderator. If you are a positive presence, chances are they have noticed you. :)