When you learn on Duolingo, you earn points, and we call them experience points, or XP for short.
You can earn XP in various ways:
- Individual lessons = 10 XP (+possible bonus XP)
- Skill practice (when you reach all 5 levels in a skill!) = 10 XP*
- Practice (accessible via the barbell icon via desktop web or Hearts tab in the iOS/Android app) = 10 XP
- Skill Test-out (when you tap the key icon to level up in a skill ) = 20 XP
- Ramp Up (Available on iOS and Android app) = timed exercise where you can earn up to 40 XP
- Checkpoint Quiz = 50 XP
- Placement Test = 100 XP
- Duolingo Stories (available in limited languages)
- Duolingo Events (learn more here)
Please note that as we continue to test new features, the experience may slightly differ from user to user. XP is subject to change. You may also unlock certain rewards like XP boost which doubles the amount of XP earned in a specific time.
*For the first practice in a calendar day, you will earn 10 XP. After that, it will be 5 XP for the second practice session, and then 0 XP for the third practice session in the same calendar day.
You will also have the option to complete Hard lessons for double the amount of XP in these skills (mobile app only).
Setting your Daily XP Goal
When you create your Duolingo account, you can choose a daily goal. Selecting a daily goal will help you stay motivated while learning a language. This can range from Casual (10 XP) to Intense (50 XP), please see below for more info.
- Casual = 10 XP
- Regular = 20 XP
- Serious = 30 XP
- Intense = 50 XP
You can change your goal at any time! You can adjust your daily goal via desktop web here. If you have the Android/iOS app, please complete the following steps:
- Tap the Profile tab (face icon)
- Tap Settings
- Scroll and tap 'Edit Daily Goal'
- Make any necessary changes, then tap 'Save'