If you are experiencing issues with your microphone and speaking exercises, please follow the instructions below based on the platform (web, iOS, or Android). NOTE: we do not have speaking exercises available for every course.
In order to practice your speaking skills, please give Duolingo permission to access your microphone on Google Chrome. Chrome is currently the only web browser that allows speech recognition.
The first time you use Duolingo in Google Chrome, you will be asked to allow Duolingo to use your mic. You should see the following prompt from the top left, and you should select "allow".
If you accidentally "Block" Duolingo from accessing your microphone, your speaking exercises that involve microphones will not work from now on. There are two easy methods you can use to edit your microphone permission to re-allow Duolingo to access your microphone.
1. When you are in a speaking exercise that requires a microphone, you should be able to find a video camera icon at the end of your browser's address bar. Click the recorder icon on your address bar, choose "Always allow https://www.duolingo.com to access your microphone," then click "Done".
2. Another way to fix this is to click "Secure" right next to your browser's address bar. You will receive a pop-up with a drop-down menu for Microphone settings. Click "Allow" and then reload the page to upload your updated settings.
If you are experiencing issues with speaking exercises in the Duolingo iOS app, please check for the following settings/permissions:
- Speaking exercises toggled ON in the Duolingo iOS app (Profile tab > Settings > Speaking exercises)
- Microphone permissions toggled ON in your iOS Settings app (open Settings app > Privacy > Microphone > Duolingo)
- Speech recognition toggled ON in your iOS Settings app (open Settings app > Privacy > Speech Recognition > Duolingo). The Duolingo iOS app uses Apple's speech recognition software, so be sure to have those necessary permissions enabled
If you are experiencing issues with speaking exercises in the Duolingo Android app, please check for the following settings/permissions:
- Speaking exercises toggled ON in the Duolingo Android app (Profile tab > Settings > Speaking exercises)
- Microphone permissions set to ALLOW for Duolingo in your Android settings
- Microphone permissions set to ALLOW for Google app. The Duolingo Android app uses Google's speech recognition software for our speaking exercises.