Last updated: August 22, 2017
We originally announced the Web Rewrite project in this forum post. This article details frequently asked questions, statuses on features that were on the old website that are not on the new website (yet), and known bugs.
What is the web rewrite?
Also known as the "new website," the web rewrite project was a complete rewrite of the website from scratch, using newer technology that wasn't available to us when Duolingo started. You can find more details here.
Why did you rewrite the website?
The old website used outdated technology and became difficult to work with and maintain. As a result, making improvements to the website was a slow process. This new website is much faster and lighter in terms of data, so it works better especially for people with slow or unreliable connections.
When will I get the new website?
We have finished transitioning everyone to the new website, so you have it! If you created your account within the past several months, you may have been on the new website since the beginning.
When I go to the Words or Discussion tab, the site behaves differently. Why?
The Discussion and Words tabs are still under the old website, so you'll notice things like notifications opening in a popup instead of in the middle of your screen. Since the Forum is still quite slow, we are now focusing our attention on rewriting the Forum as well!
Why did you remove the Activity tab?
This was unrelated to the web rewrite. The Activity tab was removed from the old website as well, but now the (non-functioning) tab does not appear on the new website either. You can read this forum post for information about the removal of the Activity tab.
What will replace the Activity tab?
We have nothing concrete to share... yet. But we do plan to replace this social feature with something better!
Will UserScripts work with the new website?
UserScripts that were written for the old site will not work with the new website. However, many popular UserScripts have already released updated versions of their scripts that are compatible with the new site.
Why don't I get speaking exercises anymore?
Speaking exercises on the new website only work on browsers that support the Web Speech API, the most popular being Chrome. Unfortunately, the old speech system was outdated and a burden on our system. If you use the Chrome browser, you will get speaking exercises again.
How do I report bugs?
The best way to report a bug is:
- Check back on this article to see if the bug is already known.
- Search on the Forums to see if the bug has already been reported.
- If the bug is not known and has not been reported, please click here and submit a bug report.
- If you would like to discuss with the community, you can also post a discussion on the Troubleshooting Forum.
What's coming up next for web?
We can't tell you yet. ;) But the fact that we took the time to rewrite the site from scratch means that we are highly invested in improving the website and have many ideas for how to continue enhancing the web experience.
Planned but low priority:
- Allow a retry on speaking exercises
Friends list on profile(Done) Highlight differences between a submitted answer and the correct answer(Done) Social sharing (Facebook, Twitter)(Done)
- Mobile web features (a way to get to the forum, tips and notes, etc.)
Celebratory popups when you level up(Done)
- Improve how the site looks on medium-sized screens (e.g. tablets)
A way to remove courses from different base languages even if it's the last course from that base language(for now, you can reset your progress in a course to have it not show up in the dropdown)
- Progress quiz (we would rather focus efforts on creating other, more popular shop items)
- Conjugation tables within hints
Noun genders within hints(Done)
- Ability to write a custom report for a sentence
An easier way to switch between courses(Done)
- Speaking exercises for browsers that do not support the Web Speech API
- Flashcards feature in the Words tab
- Activity stream (this had already been removed everywhere and is not related to the web rewrite)
- Ability to toggle between Cyrillic and Roman alphabet in Russian and Ukrainian courses
All known bugs have been fixed. Please report new bugs here.